Yerevan Premier of INTERDEPENDENCE film anthology took place
19 November 2020
INTERDEPENDENCE is a unique film composed by eleven short-movies. Started in 2018, the project explores in a sensible and creative way the position of humankind and nature. The key stories illustrated by the eleven internationally recognized filmmakers reflect the intertwined relations between human society and natural environment that are aggravated by climate change on multiple dimensions and scales, hinting at possible solutions. Participants have been selected for their well-established artistic qualities and their strong commitment to addressing issues and themes related to the environment and climate change:
Faouzi BENSAÏDI (Morocco), Ása HJÖRLEIFSDÓTTIR (Iceland), Salomé LAMAS (Portugal), Bettina OBERLI (Switzerland), Shahrbanoo SADAT (Afghanistan), Mahamat-Saleh HAROUN (Chad), Leon WANG (China), Nila MADHAB PANDA (India), Daniela THOMAS (Brazil), Silvio SOLDINI (Italy), Karin WILLIAMS (New Zealand).
The short films illustrate some of the major effect of the Climate Change, such as:
- the overfishing of offshore fish and the pollution of the marine environment, and its consequences on the coastal wildlife (China);
- the dryness in rural areas, affecting agriculture and local population traditions (Afghanistan);
- the link between humankind and nature evolving as the glaciers are melting (Iceland);
- the quality of air in big cities caused by urban pollution (Italy);
- the global warming and the melting of glaciers in the Alps (Switzerland);
- the health crises caused by air pollution and urban growth and consequences in the everyday life (India);
- the indigenous Xingu tribes and their particular relation to the Amazonian river (Brazil);
- the drought of Lake Chad and the economic and social perspectives for the populations (Sahel)
- the air quality and the global warming and the results on social organization (Morocco);
- the degradation of the coral in Polynesia caused by mass tourism (New Zealand);
- the social and economic perspectives in a changing world (Portugal).
INTERDEPENDENCE is an ART for The World production, with the patronage of the United Nations in Geneva, the World Meteorological Organization and the City of Milan.
INTERDEPENDENCE World Première took place at the International Film Festival of Rome, on October 2019. After that, the long feature film will be distributed by the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) to public service broadcasters throughout Europe. Moreover, ART for The World develops a worldwide educational program, distributing the movie in universities, NGO network, museums, cultural institutions, schools and social media, together with supporting workshops, dialogues and educational activities.
ART for The World is a Non-Governmental Organization associated with the UN Department of Public Information (UNDPI), founded by Adelina von Fürstenberg, based in Geneva and in Italy with a large network of collaborators and partner institutions around the world.
The Yerevan premier of ART for The World and the generous financial support of the Swiss Embassy in Armenia.